Thursday 24 September 2015

Emulation 1

























For my first emulation, I decided to emulate one of Rankin's photos which was taken in collaboration with GF Smith. It is part of a portfolio entitled Surface Attraction which aimed to push the boundaries of what would be considered as beautiful today. 

To create the makeup for this emulation, I used normal eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick and faceprint. I did this as it would make it easier to smudge the makeup like it had been in the emulation. I used a mixture of eyeliner and eyeshadow for the black smudges to make them stand out more against the pale skin of the model, creating contrast similar to the original photo. I also used lipstick that would smudge effortlessly to create the same effect as the original photo and a range of eyeshadow colours as close to the colours Rankin and Smith used for their composition. 

Once I had taken multiple photos (contact sheet below) I chose the one that, in my opinion, was the most like the original photo and I then imported it into photoshop so that I could edit contrasts. The first thing I edited was the background so that it was a grey similar to the one in the original picture. I also used a brightness/contrast mask in order to make the skin of the model look brighter with more contrast as well as adding an opaque layer of white to bring our the pale complexion and make it more like the model in the original. I increased the saturation slightly so that the colours of the makeup would jump out more and become more like the tones and hues that are included in the original image. 

What Could I Improve?

To improve, I think I could have experimented with the angle of the lighting used in my photographs in order to make the model look more like the one in the original picture. I also think I would have used colours that were even closer to the shades used in the original and experiment more with the way that the makeup was smudged, creating a variation in how alike the two pictures above would have been. 



Contact Sheet


No comments:

Post a Comment